Tuesday 16 February 2010

The Lion Of Russell Square

But for the echo of a few footsteps, no sound falls upon the Great Court of the British Museum tonight. Before me the grand Lion of Knidos* follows my every movement with its empty, hollow eyes. I stare straight back into the two lonely voids. As eye contact is made, a tension between a man's appreciation for sculpture and the lion itself forms, rises and -

'Pop!' - breaks, as I twist open the cap of my peach-flavoured Arizona iced-tea. The sound of a vacuum being filled ripples and bounces happily around the Great Court.

After slowly sipping my drink, I look back at the Lion and notice how dull and sad its eyes are. I begin to appreciate this fine creation with a sense of nostalgic sympathy and tragic amusement.

Ironic, perhaps, that two thousand years ago it was watching over a nation on a high cliff top, mighty waves pounding below. No doubt a symbol of pride, strength and nobility.

Today it sits on a short pedestal, watching me drink my peach-flavoured Arizona iced-tea.

But to me, it will always be the Lion of Russell Square.

- - - - - - - - - -
*Colossal marble lion:
(http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/gr/c/colossal_marble_lion.aspx)