Tuesday 19 January 2010

Locksmiths of Ventimiglia

I stop at the middle of a bridge above the Roia river in Ventimiglia.

Below me the lucid swirls of the river draw curious ripples against the pillars of the bridge.

I contemplate the lovers who stood here years ago, throwing keys into the same clear turqouise current.

Before me are rusty locks with the names of those unknown couples - some locks have hearts drawn on them, others with carved statements of passion.

I do not know and will never meet them, yet I am secretly happy for them; it is not every day that one declares an unbreakble bond to another, throws away the keys and never looks back.

Beneath the rusty locks are a new and shining locks.

I smile, for it tells me that the heart's traditions are still carried forth by the locksmiths of Ventimiglia.