Thursday 15 April 2010

Appreciating Flowers

I am not normally one to appreciate flowers, but this is what I saw:

Shriveling tulips with limp petals in one of those generic brown paper bouquets. The result of many hours in what is now a relatively warm London.

I supposed it must have been a much more lively bunch of flowers when it was bought fresh from the shop, but it is no surprise that a little time can lead to some disappointment.

They were seen by someone who cared. Fascinating what happened next. The paper bouquet quickly stripped away. Out came the scissors to trim the stem and the vase. In came the water with a pinch of brown sugar. Minute adjustments - all that is required for a subtle but neat artistic arrangements.

And I was surprised by the beauty that bloomed in the same time that it took to wither. This beauty I leave to your imagination.

But just know that your pleasant and recently-envisaged conception was only possible because there was someone who cared about small things in life that many, including myself, would not be concerned about (tulips, for instance). And perhaps we are all better for it.